Connect with us

World News

Infographic: What are Biden and Trump’s paths forward? | US & Canada

Published

on

With the election sitting at razor-thin margins, what are the candidates’ paths to victory in the Electoral College?

To win the White House, a candidate must win at least 270 electoral votes, a majority of the 538 that are up for grabs in the 50 states, but not the popular vote.

Nearly 2.9 million more people voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election, but she still lost.

President Donald Trump won because he prevailed in the Electoral College, under a system set up in the US Constitution and refined through the centuries.

Currently, the path to 270 looks increasingly difficult for Trump, though Democratic challenger Joe Biden appears set to clinch it.

Biden’s path forward 

Democrat Joe Biden’s campaign has a relatively easy and straightforward path forward. Biden maintained the so-called “Blue Wall” in the Midwest, flipping Wisconsin back from Trump’s 2016 win.

Biden is also doing well in Arizona, a state that has not backed a Democratic presidential candidate since 1996.

With Arizona included, Biden sits at 264 Electoral College votes. If Arizona holds, he can win any of the not-yet called battleground states, including Georgia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania or Nevada.

Trump’s path

Trump’s path forward is much more difficult.

Trump currently sits at 214 electoral votes. Of Arizona, North Carolina, Nevada and Georgia, Trump needs to win at least three of those states.

If he wins three of those four, he also needs Pennsylvania.

Biden is currently leading the vote count in all of those, except North Carolina.

Each state is allotted a different number of electoral votes, based on how many representatives it has in the House, plus its two senators.

Trump is expected to be declared the winner in Alaska with three electoral votes, but that would not alter his path above.



Source link

Continue Reading
Comments

World News

Cyclone Eloise affected 250,000 people in Mozambique, says UN | Weather News

Published

on

Eloise brought winds of up to 150km/h followed by torrential rain over port city of Beira and adjacent Buzi district.

A tropical cyclone that struck central Mozambique last week has affected 250,000 people, a sharp increase over initial estimates, according to a UN official.

Myrta Kaulard, the UN’s resident coordinator in Mozambique, added on Tuesday that 18,000 people were internally displaced after Cyclone Eloise made landfall in the early hours of Saturday.

“Yesterday, we were mentioning 170,000 people affected. Today, the official figures have climbed to 250,000,” Kaulard said in a video call with reporters at the UN, adding that 76 health centres and hundreds of classrooms were damaged.

“We also see widespread floods that are still there and a lot of people trying still to get out of the flooded areas,” she said.

Eloise brought winds of up to 150 kilometres per hour (90 miles per hour) followed by torrential rain over the port city of Beira, the capital of Mozambique’s Sofala province, and the adjacent Buzi district.

It weakened into a tropical storm as it moved inland to Zimbabwe, South Africa, eSwatini, formerly known as Swaziland and Botswana.

The death toll across the region rose to 14 on Tuesday after South Africa reported one more death.

In Mozambique, the cyclone hit an area already devastated by two successive super-storms in March and April 2019.

The first, Cyclone Idai, left more than 1,000 dead and caused damage estimated at about $2bn.

People queue for food at the accommodation centre in Tica after their villages were flooded due to the passage of Cyclone Eloise [Andre Catueira/EPA]

An international aid group warned on Tuesday that crowded centres for storm survivors created ideal conditions for the coronavirus to spread.

In the port city of Beira alone, 8,700 people are living in 16 temporary shelters after their homes were destroyed by the cyclone.

“Each tent I saw had at least 10 people packed into it and families are lacking access to safe water and essential items like soap and face masks,” said Marcia Penicela, project manager at ActionAid Mozambique following a visit to sites.

Espinola Caribe, head of the World Food Programme’s Beira sub-office, also said COVID-19 was a concern and people had to be moved out of danger.

“This was not a planned evacuation … this was running for your life,” he said.

Widespread flooding in the Buzi area of Mozambique after the landfall of Cyclone Eloise [Bruno Pedro/UNICEF/AFP]



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Top Stories